2012 VARSITY Football Schedule (1-0)

Striving to be 1-0 after we play Cedar Ridge on Friday

August 31-- Hendrickson (WIN 50-23)
September 7 @Cedar Ridge
September 14 @ Hays
September 21-- Del Valle
September 28-- Dripping Springs
October 5 @ Leander
October 12-- Marble Falls
October 19 @ Cedar Park
November 2-- Vandegrift
November 9 @ Vista Ridge

Currently 1-0 on the Season

Number of Visitors since August 2010

Total Pageviews since August 2009

NOTE from Brandi

NEW FEATURE!!!
check out the new email feature on the right hand side of the page. You can sign up with your email (I will never see it), and each time I update, you will get an email saying that i updated the blog:)


Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Just a friendly Tip:)

A few years back, I hosted a Coaches Wives meeting before the season started and one of the things that we discuss each year is kind of a higher level listening thing. That particular year we had a skin cancer scare with one of our coaches wives (not a football wife)-- anyhow, Kristi Harrison was in charge of this part and she of course, chose to speak on skin cancer.

She had a very good friend of Luke's write his short story specifically for us- 
This guy was young at the time- he was just out of college, where he played football and now he is a coach in the North Texas area.. Here is what he sent to us:

A Close Call

I am one of those people who is pretty dark-skinned and never thought about putting sunscreen on or really trying to block the sun in any way. Being an active person and athlete all of my life kept me in the sun all of the time and now being a football coach, I am in the sun even more. So in March, I noticed a knot on my neck and went to the doctor at the begining of June once school was out. The doctor removed the spot and found out it was melanoma, an aggressive skin cancer. Since i had not gone to the doctor when I first noticed the knot, the cancer cells had a chance to enter my body and possibly my blood. So now I have to receive an injection every two weeks to basically flush my system and clean me out. After I receive these shots I cannot do anything for a few days because I am so weak. I have to receive 6 of these shots and then get tested again to make sure the cells are gone. ALl of this could have been prevented had I put on sunscreen. I know it taked extra time and remembering to do so, but take it from me, its not worth risking your life.

I don't want to publish his came, but he is a coach at
Sherman HS

We have this letter hung in the coaches office next to a basket of unused sunscreen, so if you want some, but don't have any- go ask a coach if you can use some. Tell them I said it was ok and for your protection:) ha

PLEASE take the time to put on sunscreen- whether you are a coach, a parent or a player. I am the worlds WORST at it, so I feel hypocritical saying it since I go to a tanning bed 3 days a week, so hopefully I will take my own advise. But my 40 minutes a week is nothing compared to a football coach or player's 10 hour workout in the sun.

Sunscreen is important people!!!

No comments: